(Last updated January 10, 2020)
The Information We Collect
Account Information and Other Personal Information. We collect information you include in your Olivine account when you sign up, such as basic profile information, authorized users information, email addresses and mobile location data, other personal demographic information, information about your household, and information about household appliances and energy systems. This information is collected in order for us to provide the services you have requested from us and/or our partners, and to permit us and/or our partners to conduct scientific studies about energy usage.
General Website Data. We collect information about you in various ways when you use our online app or websites. We collect personal information you provide to us. For example, we collect your name, email address, and other information you provide via the websites when you submit inquiries or request more information about us. This information is collected in order for us to provide the information you have requested.
Green Button and Rule 24/32 Data. Olivine and its partners collect detailed data about the usage of electricity and other information through other services providers including your energy service or utility company. If you elect to authorize Olivine to be your demand response provider, data may also be provided by Pacific Gas & Electric Company, Southern California Edison or San Diego Gas and Electric Companies under Rules 24 and 32 as approved by the California Public Utilities Commission. A subset of this data is sent to our partners’ or our servers, where it is stored indefinitely following California Public Utilities regulations. This information is collected in order for us to provide the services you have requested from us and as part of our regulatory responsibility as your demand response provider.
Product Data. If applicable, we collect detailed data about the usage of electricity through the electrical panel to which the product is connected. We collect detailed wattage and voltage information, and use this data to generate hypotheses about specific devices in use. A subset of this data is sent to our partners’ servers, where it is stored indefinitely. This information is collected in order for us to provide the services you have requested from us.
Service Data. We collect various information at setup time, and in the course of usage. We collect location data, device information and power usage information. We track application usage information to monitor customer experience, and we collect crash and error information for improving application experience.
Purchase information. If you purchase products through our webstore, we collect credit card information and other information you enter to have the product shipped to you, including where your purchase is to be shipped. If we need to verify your eligibility to make purchases in the webstore, we will collect relevant utility and/or other LSE account information from you. This information is collected in order for us to fulfill your orders.
Web Beacons. We may collect information using Web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used via the Service or in our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may combine the information we collect about you and use this information to:
- Provide, maintain, deliver and improve our services, products and online offerings. This includes improvements that are specific to your installation and those that generally improve our products, services, and online offerings.
- Verify your eligibility for participation in LSE offerings, including rebates.
- Charge your credit card for purchases you make from the webstore.
- Identify opportunities for you to improve the energy efficiency of your home, such as ways to reduce electricity consumption, or identifying devices that are running inefficiently or may be failing.
- Send you alerts that you have enabled.
- Provide you with information specific to your house, like a summary of device usage over time, or comparative information relative to others.
- Understand you and your preferences to enhance your experience and enjoyment using our website, other online services, our products and services.
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service.
- Send you related information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- Link or combine your information with other personal information we get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
- Communicate with you about our and other companies’ products, services, promotions, events and other news and information we think will be of interest to you.
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with the services.
- Detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities.
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Disclosure of Information
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. Olivine has not sold any personal information during the past 12 months, though it has disclosed personal information with our partners, service providers, and utilities as set forth below:
- Your website and service data may be shared with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who work for us and need access to your information to do that work.
- Your purchase information may be shared with payment intermediaries (e.g., Stripe), LSEs providing subsidies to you, and entities which will ship product you have ordered to you.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information which cannot be linked to your specific account or other personal information.
Location of Information
We will maintain, store, and process your personal information in the United States. We will follow all applicable laws regarding privacy protection and data access in the jurisdictions your data is located.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others.
How we Protect your Information
Olivine uses industry standard protocols and encryption for the transmission and storage of your data. In addition, Olivine follows standard industry practice to protect your data against any unauthorized access. Olivine continues to audit our security practices to ensure we continue meeting our high standards for data security. Although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no security program is foolproof and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal or other information.
California Consumer Privacy Act Rights
Residents of California have the right to request that Olivine disclose what personal information of yours it collects, uses, discloses, and sells. If you wish to exercise this right, please send a request to email@example.com, including a copy of a current government-issued document with your name and photograph, and a utility bill or other verification of your address. We will match this information with the information in our data in order to verify that you are the person whose personal information we have in our data. You may authorize an agent to make this request on your behalf; if a request comes from an authorized agent, we must be provided with a copy of your written authorization to the agent, and verification of the authorized agent’s identity.
Residents of California have the right to request that Olivine delete any personal information of yours it maintains. If you wish to exercise this right, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org, including a copy of a current government-issued document with your name and photograph, and a utility bill or other verification of your address. We will match this information with the information in our data in order to verify that you are the person whose personal information we have in our data. You may authorize an agent to make this request on your behalf; if a request comes from an authorized agent, we must be provided with a copy of your written authorization to the agent, and verification of the authorized agent’s identity. Please note that Olivine may not be able to delete certain information due to legal requirements.
Residents of California have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by Olivine for the exercise of the privacy rights set forth above.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
Collection of Information from Children
Olivine does not direct its products or services to children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. If we learn that personal information of a person under the age of 13 age has been collected by us, we will take appropriate steps to delete this information.
How does our site handle Do Not Track signals?
We honor Do Not Track signals and Do Not Track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Questions or Comments